US Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke said at a Wednesday press conference that the US central bank would consider reducing its $85 billion-per-month asset purchasing program later this year, based on an improved outlook for the US economy.The announcement sparked a sell-off on US stock and bond markets, with the Dow Jones Industrial Average closing down by 206 points, or 1.35 percent. Yields ...
Equities have been closely tethered to ultra-loose monetary policy, which has been key to the S&P's climb of more than 14 percent so far this year. Benchmark 10-year US bond yields jumped to a 15-month high on expectations the Fed will reduce its bond ...
US Federal Reserve is not expected to drive global financial markets into panic with its exit from quantitative easing, South Korea's senior economic policymaker said Thursday."(The US exit) will not go so far as to drive markets into panic. Bernanke just explained the stages of exit from quantitative easing," Vice Finance Minister Choo Kyung-ho told foreign correspondents.Choo ...
HONG KONG (MarketWatch) -- Borrowing costs in China's interbank money markets surged on Thursday, with the rates on the overnight and seven-day repurchase agreements jumping to record highs, Reuters reported. The rate on the benchmark weighted-average seven-day repurchase, or repo, soared 3.80 percentage points to a record high of 12.06%, while the rate on the overnight repo rate spiked ...
MUMBAI, June 20 | Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:29am EDT MUMBAI, June 20 (Reuters) - NTPC Ltd, India's largest power producer, scrapped its bond sale scheduled for Thursday after a sell-off in government bonds caused worries about the pricing of its debt, four sources with direct knowledge of the bond sale said. The firm was planning to raise up to 10 billion rupees through an issue of dual ...
John Waters has to be one of the oddest auteurs in the history of American cinema. Here is a man with an undeniably gifted, uncanny sense of humor and a reckless streak that has redefined what can be shown on-screen, who has spent his entire career offending as many people as he possibly can. Quite often, his offensive work has also been brilliant satire. And, even when it isn't on that level, it' ... ...
Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:59am EDT * MSCI Asia ex-Japan slides 3.5 pct to 9-month low * U.S. Treasury yields hit 15-mth high, underpin dollar * China "flash" HSBC PMI hits 9-month lows * Asian credit market spreads widen 23 points By Chikako Mogi and Wayne Cole TOKYO/SYDNEY, June 20 (Reuters) - Asian markets buckled badly on Thursday after the Federal Reserve heralded an eventual end to free ...
acknowledgement of improved US economy from the Fed statement and less dovish than expected Bernanke press conference sent Treasury yields and US dollar sharply higher at the expense of stocks, metals, and high-beta FX. Bourses in China are once again feeling the most pain, ...
Equity, bond and commodity markets sold off sharply in Asia on Thursday, picking up the baton from the sharp falls on Wall Street, after the U.S. Federal Reserve suggested it could start to unwind its monetary stimulus program later this year. News that the flash HSBC China Purchasing Managers' Index, a gauge of manufacturing activity, hit ...
foreign capital inflows to fund its current account deficit. Market were also hit by data showing China's factory activity weakened to a nine-month low in June. The rupee fell to a record low of 59.9350 to the dollar, breaching past its all-time low of 58.98 on June 11. The rupee was trading at 59.82/81, down from its 58.71/72 close on ...
Traders work on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange as Ben S. Bernanke, chairman of the U.S. Federal Reserve, speaks on television, Wednesday, June 19, 2013. (Jin ...
Our nuclear programmes are completely transparent. But we are ready to show greater transparency and make clear for the whole world that the steps of the Islamic Republic of Iran are completely within international frameworks. The sanctions are unfair, the Iranian people are suffering, and our (nuclear) activities are legal. These sanctions are illegal and only benefit Israel.
Iran's president-elect was speaking after his historic election victory.
Mantra on Jolimont, East Melbourne, Australia
Right from our arrival the Mantra on Jolimont had an air of friendliness, and a sense that the property was ...Keep reading
Should tax havens be forced to lift their shroud of secrecy?
Philippine TimesPhilippine Times | Authoritative News Source for the Philippines
Newspapers the world over strive to provide readers with the ultimate news coverage.
The Philippine Times is no exception.
As an online news service we have advantages over traditional newspapers in that stories can be added and updated 24 hours day.
Our objective is to provide the most comprehensive Philippines news available, from our resources, contracted wire services and an inventory of some thousands of sources comprising newspapers, cable and TV networks, radio stations, public broadcasters, NGOs and others, Philippines news is a priority.
National news comes first. We do however strive to provide a complete news services for our readers. World news headlines top several of our pages, we also provide news on what's happening in business, and in the financial markets.
Whether it's the latest Nikkei 225 reading in Tokyo, the sterling exchange rate in London, or the status of the Nasdaq in New York, whether it's local the Philippines news, the weather forecast for the Philippines you'll find it all in the Philippine Times.
From Davao and Cagayan to Manila, the Philippine Times should be your number one choice for breaking news - local, regional, and national.
An earthquake measuring 5.2 on the Richter scale jolted Philippine Islands region Saturday night, the US Geological Survey said.
The epicentre had a depth of 8.50 km, reports Xinhua.
- Dolce and Gabbana founders sentenced to jail
- Chinas manufacturing activity at nine-month low HSBC
- Dr. Kavuru Sambasiva Rao takes over as Textiles Minister
- Serena Williams shows off glamorous side for Burberry fashion show
- Helen Mirren new face of Marksamp Spencer
- Stocks slump as Federal Reserve hints at reducing cash infusions
- Wall Street drops on Fed news
- Fed not to lead global financial markets into panic S. Korea
- China short-term interbank rates hit recordreport
- Indias NTPC scraps bond sale after sell-off in government bonds - sources
- Injury-marred Cummins ready to return to competitive cricket
- PCB considering performance based pay for Pak players after disastrous CT campaign
- Disappointed Kirsten says Proteas deserves choker tag after CT crash-out
- Offended Welsh cricketers walk-off from village match after speak English order
- Channel Nine wants greater say in Oz team selection despite CA stance
- China stocks tumble as manufacturing activity falls
- Nikkei skids as weak China data Fed exit plans chill sentiment
- RPT-WRAPUP 1-Asian markets hammered on China fears Fed exit plan
- New Zealand dollar slides
- Nikkei closes down 1.7pc
- Pope John Paul II closer to sainthood after second miracle approved
- Late pope John Paul II may be made saint
- Assad’s regime is appalling but I can’t blame my Christian friends in Syria for praying that he wins
- Pro-adoption ad campaign results in strong response
- US bus owner faces charges in crash that killed 17 from Vietnamese Catholic community
- 14 killed in attack on UN headquarters in Somalia
- UN headquarters in Somalia attacked
- SKorean nuclear operator raided in cable probe
- Cable ideal area for major top
- FOX NEWS POLL Voters say war on terrorism not over
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Philippine Times headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Boat capsizes off Palawan 19 rescued
- PNoy believes NCR floods subsiding faster due to govt projects
- Comelec abandons plan to automate the barangay and SK polls
- JBC grills first 2 candidates for next Sandiganbayan presiding justice
- Philippines US to hold naval exercises near disputed reef