Google is believed to be deeply involved in a series of projects to build and operate wireless networks in emerging markets, including sub-Saharan Africa and Southeast Asia. An article in The Wall Street Journal said that the effort is part of a plan that could connect a billion or more new people to the internet. According to the article, Google is making efforts to build wireless networks ...
By 2015 the Chinese currency, the renminbi (RMB), will be one of the three most traded currencies in the world, on par with the euro and the dollar, HSBC said on Friday. "The RMB is increasingly part of normal day-to-day business for anyone trading or investing in China," said Douglas Flint, chairman of HSBC Holdings at the Annual General Meeting in London yesterday. "Every ...
Most Asian markets outside Shanghai were down this week with the Nikkei shedding last week's gains and ending the week's trade at 14612.45, a 4.35% plunge in the five days to 24 May. Equities in the world's third biggest economy were pulled down during the week, tanking 7% on 23 May, by news that the US Federal Reserve could decrease its asset buys in the coming months and by ...
TOKYO | Sat May 25, 2013 4:24am EDT TOKYO May 25 (Reuters) - Kobe Steel Ltd is considering shutting a blast furnace in Kobe, western Japan, to cut production capacity by 20 percent, the Nikkei business daily reported on Saturday, as it tries to turn around its loss-making iron and steel business. Its iron and steel operations posted an ordinary loss of 50.2 billion yen ($496.1 million) ...
Chinese stocks tumbled Monday as investors sold off holdings increasingly worried about a possible default of government debt by the United States which is to bring the global economy back to a serious slowdown. Also, railway shares plunged after the weekend deadly high-speed train wrecking accident in East China's Zhejiang Province which has killed at least 36 people and injured more than ...
There are so many ways in which Jim Sheridans In America could have gone wrong. The intensely personal story of an Irish immigrant family trying to make it in New York City against all odds, it has all the elements of sappy sentimentalism, including a third act that takes place almost entirely inside a hospital and features not just one main character dying, but two others who are, at vari ... ...
Gold futures on the COMEX division of the New York Mercantile Exchange dipped slightly Friday as investors abstained from trading ahead of the three-day holiday weekend.The most active gold contract for June delivery dropped 5.2 dollars, or 0.37 percent, to settle at 1,386.6 dollars per ounce.Gold traded quietly Friday, as the US Commerce Department announced that orders for durable goods ...
We must define the nature and scope of this struggle, or else it will define us. Neither I, nor any President can promise the total defeat of terror. What we must do is dismantle networks that pose a direct danger.
The U.S. president was speaking on his administration's counter terrorism policy.
Millennium Hotel, Queenstown, New Zealand
I've reviewed this hotel before, and found it one of my favourites in New Zealand. Queenstown is located in the ...Keep reading
The Boy Scouts of America National Council has resolved to accept gay members. Do you agree with this policy?
Philippine TimesPhilippine Times | Authoritative News Source for the Philippines
Newspapers the world over strive to provide readers with the ultimate news coverage.
The Philippine Times is no exception.
As an online news service we have advantages over traditional newspapers in that stories can be added and updated 24 hours day.
Our objective is to provide the most comprehensive Philippines news available, from our resources, contracted wire services and an inventory of some thousands of sources comprising newspapers, cable and TV networks, radio stations, public broadcasters, NGOs and others, Philippines news is a priority.
National news comes first. We do however strive to provide a complete news services for our readers. World news headlines top several of our pages, we also provide news on what's happening in business, and in the financial markets.
Whether it's the latest Nikkei 225 reading in Tokyo, the sterling exchange rate in London, or the status of the Nasdaq in New York, whether it's local the Philippines news, the weather forecast for the Philippines you'll find it all in the Philippine Times.
From Davao and Cagayan to Manila, the Philippine Times should be your number one choice for breaking news - local, regional, and national.
UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has welcomed the release of four Filipino peacekeepers captured by Syrian rebels in the Golan Heights last week.
They had been detained May 7 in the vicinity of Al Jamlah in the area of limitation.
Appreciating the assistance of Qatar and of others involved in securing their safe release, the secretary-general emphasised to all parties the impartiality of UN peacekeepers in a statement.
"The secretary-general welcomes the release of the four United Nations Disengagement Observer Force (UNDOF) peacekeepers," reported Xinhua citing the UN chief in a statement. Sunday .
UNDOF, which is on the ground to monitor the Disengagement of Forces Agreement between Israel and Syria, has been in the Golan Heights since 1974.
It has about 1,000 troops and civilian staff, who are from countries such as India, Austria, the Philippines, Morocco and Moldova.
The four UN peacekeepers were seized by the rebels at an observation post on the ceasefire line between Syria and the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights last Tuesday.
It was second abduction of UN peacekeepers on the Golan Heights over the past two months. In March, 21 Filipino peacekeepers from UNDOF were abducted but later released.
- Abbey Clancy shows off f-abb figure in new swimwear photoshoot
- Andhra Pradesh to get third manufacturing zone
- Egypts textile sector in decline
- Style shrinks Our experts analyse Lily Allens caped entrance to the Ivor Novello awards
- Agenda Pet Shop Boys Adam Driver The Shard festival fashion rising house prices
- FIIs put in $3.4 billion in equities in May so far
- Scott Burns Bonding with interest rates dealing with RMDs
- States With The Most Americans On Disability 247 Wall St.
- Fitch Rates Little Elm ISD TXs 2013 ULT Bldg Rfdg Bonds AAA PSFAA- Und. Outlook Stable
- Fed Concerns Contribute To Lackluster Session On Wall Street - U.S. Commentary
- Google planning to operate wireless networks in African Asian markets using balloons
- Move Over Japanese Yen Make Way For Chinas Yuan
- Asian Markets Weekly Update Fed Fears and Weak Chinese Factory Data Fuel Sell-Off
- Kobe Steel mulls shutting blast furnace in western Japan -Nikkei
- China stocks plunge on US debt train crash
- Pope Francis brings new attitude to Vatican
- Mater Dei inspired by young ‘survivor’
- Pope Francis Inconsistency by Pastors and Faithful Undermines Churchs Credibility
- 45-foot John Paul II Statue Unveiled Over Czestochowa
- For Mothers Day John Paul IIs Reflections on Motherhood
- Lena Dunham slams X-rated parody of hit series Girls
- 1 woman dead 1 missing in San Antonio flash floods
- Fox News Punch Obama Voters In The Face
- GOP Sen. Inhofe urges donations to Oklahoma tornado relief
- Namibia Botswana connect to 5.12 terabit cable
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Philippine Times headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Palace No new conditions from Taiwan
- Philippine official urges China to be responsible and positive force
- Palace No problem with FOI bill reintroduced in Congress
- Before Dan Brown’s ‘gates of hell’ the lustful Filipino rooster
- US concerned over Philippines killing of Taiwanese fisherman