At least 11 people, including seven marines, died Saturday when government troops fought Muslim militants in the southern Philippines, authorities said. Brig. Gen. Domingo Tutaan said seven marines and four members of al-Qaida-linked Abu Sayyaf were killed in a close-quarters clash outside the town of Patikul on the island of Jolo, Voice of America reported. At least nine government soldiers ...
11 dead as Philippine troops clash with militantsEleven people were killed in the southern Philippines on Saturday as troops clashed with a militant group blamed for the countrys deadliest terror attacks the military said.
Philippines on Saturday as troops clashed with a militant group blamed for the country's deadliest terror attacks, the military said. The fighting left seven Filipino marines dead and nine others wounded on the island of Jolo, ...
Protesters hurl eggs at the Philippines representative office in Taipei, Taiwan and the Philippines are embroiled in a diplomatic row over the fatal shooting of a Taiwanese fisherman by Philippine Coast Guard personnel earlier this month. -- PHOTO: ...
China Seas region. The two countries reached a diplomatic impasse after a Taiwanese fisherman was shot dead on May 9 by the Philippine Coast Guard in waters claimed by both sides. Philippine President Benigno Aquino's personal apology was not accepted by Taiwanese President Ma Ying-jeou, who regarded it insincere for the lack of official representation and compensation. Taipei held naval ...
Soldiers load the bodies of Filipino marines killed during a clash with Al-Qaeda-linked Abu Sayyaf militants in Sulu province south of the Philippine capital Manila. At least seven marines and four militants have been killed as the military launched an offensive against gunmen blamed for recent kidnappings and of trying to sabotage a road project in Sulu. -- PHOTO: ...
The Time Machine
When H.G. Wells published the complete text of his novella, The Time Machine, in 1895, it was the first time such a concept had appeared in a fictional story. Time machines and time travel are, of course, now a standard element in science fiction, from Star Trek to Back to the Future (1985). But, for Wells and his readers, it was a unique new literary device that opened up a ... ...
Authorities in the southern Philippines say at least 11 people have been killed in a clash between government troops and a Muslim militant gang. Military spokesman Brigadier General Domingo Tutaan said seven Philippine marines and at least four members of the al-Qaida-linked Abu Sayyaf group died early Saturday in a firefight on the outskirts of Patikul town on the island of Jolo. Tutaan ...
File image - Eleven people were killed in the southern Philippines as troops clashed with a militant group blamed for the country's deadliest terror attacks. (AP Photo/Bullit ...
Tropical storm Nock-Ten (local name: Juaning) damaged 17.17 million pesos (about 407,664 U.S. dollars) worth of Philippine crops, according to initial report filed Thursday by the agriculture department.Nock-Ten, which triggered flash floods, destroyed 2,977 hectares of farmland planted with rice, damaging 10.83 million pesos (257,183 U.S. dollars) worth of unmilled rice.A total of 612 metric ...
One person was killed and another injured when a light plane used for spraying pesticide over plantations crashed in southern Philippines late on Wednesday, police said on Thursday.Bonifacio Cabansag, 42, a traffic control personnel for banana firm Dole Philippines died after being hit by the company's spray aircraft as it landed on an airstrip in Mapawa village, Maragusan town, in ...
The Philippine economy's first-quarter performance was likely "on track" to hitting the government's 6- to 7-per cent growth target for the year, Economic Planning Secretary Arsenio M. Balisacan said on the sidelines of the 34th National Conference of Employers. Balisacan, who is also director-general of the National Economic and Development Authority (Neda), said a stronger ...
We must define the nature and scope of this struggle, or else it will define us. Neither I, nor any President can promise the total defeat of terror. What we must do is dismantle networks that pose a direct danger.
The U.S. president was speaking on his administration's counter terrorism policy.
New York-New York Hotel & Casino
Awe struck us on our arrival at this relatively new hotel and casino establishment at the top of the Strip. ...Keep reading
The Boy Scouts of America National Council has resolved to accept gay members. Do you agree with this policy?
Philippine TimesPhilippine Times | Authoritative News Source for the Philippines
Newspapers the world over strive to provide readers with the ultimate news coverage.
The Philippine Times is no exception.
As an online news service we have advantages over traditional newspapers in that stories can be added and updated 24 hours day.
Our objective is to provide the most comprehensive Philippines news available, from our resources, contracted wire services and an inventory of some thousands of sources comprising newspapers, cable and TV networks, radio stations, public broadcasters, NGOs and others, Philippines news is a priority.
National news comes first. We do however strive to provide a complete news services for our readers. World news headlines top several of our pages, we also provide news on what's happening in business, and in the financial markets.
Whether it's the latest Nikkei 225 reading in Tokyo, the sterling exchange rate in London, or the status of the Nasdaq in New York, whether it's local the Philippines news, the weather forecast for the Philippines you'll find it all in the Philippine Times.
From Davao and Cagayan to Manila, the Philippine Times should be your number one choice for breaking news - local, regional, and national.
UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has welcomed the release of four Filipino peacekeepers captured by Syrian rebels in the Golan Heights last week.
They had been detained May 7 in the vicinity of Al Jamlah in the area of limitation.
Appreciating the assistance of Qatar and of others involved in securing their safe release, the secretary-general emphasised to all parties the impartiality of UN peacekeepers in a statement.
"The secretary-general welcomes the release of the four United Nations Disengagement Observer Force (UNDOF) peacekeepers," reported Xinhua citing the UN chief in a statement. Sunday .
UNDOF, which is on the ground to monitor the Disengagement of Forces Agreement between Israel and Syria, has been in the Golan Heights since 1974.
It has about 1,000 troops and civilian staff, who are from countries such as India, Austria, the Philippines, Morocco and Moldova.
The four UN peacekeepers were seized by the rebels at an observation post on the ceasefire line between Syria and the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights last Tuesday.
It was second abduction of UN peacekeepers on the Golan Heights over the past two months. In March, 21 Filipino peacekeepers from UNDOF were abducted but later released.
- Andhra Pradesh to get third manufacturing zone
- Nepals Tibetan Refugees Struggle Under Chinas Shadow
- Beyonce creates fashion range for website
- Totally Biased Turns Knicks Gay Protest Into Fashion Show At Madison Square Garden
- The dark side of Japanese fashion made in Bangladesh
- States With The Most Americans On Disability 247 Wall St.
- Fitch Rates Little Elm ISD TXs 2013 ULT Bldg Rfdg Bonds AAA PSFAA- Und. Outlook Stable
- Fed Concerns Contribute To Lackluster Session On Wall Street - U.S. Commentary
- France begins withdrawing from Mali
- NBAD Issues $465 Million Convertible Bonds
- Asian Markets Weekly Update Fed Fears and Weak Chinese Factory Data Fuel Sell-Off
- Kobe Steel mulls shutting blast furnace in western Japan -Nikkei
- China stocks plunge on US debt train crash
- Gold dips slightly ahead of 3-day holiday weekend
- Chinese premier slams EUs trade measures against Chinese products
- Pope Francis sparks controversy for suggesting atheists can go to heaven
- Pope Final Judgement is a Push to Live Better Lives
- Improbably Missionary Trains Stars in Kenya
- Pope beatifies murdered anti-mafia priest Giuseppe Puglisi 20 years after death
- Priest killed by Mafia one step closer to sainthood
- Senior Congress leader Mahendra Karma killed by Maoists in Chattisgarh
- Mariah Careys dress splits
- Whose cat is beautiful Chechen leader vs TV celebrity
- Will Smith Hosts Fresh Prince Theme Song Reunion on BBC One
- Comedian Jokes Jimmy Kimmel Bought Him $1.9 Million Bea Arthur Nude Painting
- Lena Dunham slams X-rated parody of hit series Girls
- Namibia Botswana connect to 5.12 terabit cable
- Court bans detention practices by Ariz. sheriff against Latinos
- Fox News Reaffirms Stance Against Obama
- US cable Ethiopia govt terrified by ONLF rebels
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Philippine Times headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Seven Philippine marines among 11 killed in firefight with insurgents
- 11 dead as Philippine troops clash with militantsEleven people were killed in the southern Philippines on Saturday as troops clashed with a militant group blamed for the countrys deadliest terror attacks the military said.
- Taiwan protests Philippine naval ships in disputed waters
- US should help mediate territorial dispute between Taiwan and Philippines
- 7 Filipino marines 5 Abu Sayyaf militants killed in Sulu clash