Winning candidates in the May 13 elections with pending election offenses cannot rest easy yet, as their proclamation will have no effect on the progress of their case, poll chairman Sixto Brillantes Jr. said Friday."Lahat ng illegal postering, tuloy-tuloy lang ang aming election offense sa law department. It should not affect the proclamation," Brillantes said.He cited the case of the ...
The Commission on Elections (Comelec) has canceled the registration of five party-list groups with pending cases to the Supreme Court, effectively removing their votes from the party-list derby.According to a Comelec resolution promulgated May 24, 2013, the poll body resolved that the cancellation of the registration of the following five groups as "final and ...
Defeated senatorial candidate Richard Gordon has asked the Supreme Court to stop the Commission on Elections from removing the precinct count optical scan (PCOS) machines used in the May 13 polls. A statement issued Thursday by Gordon's camp said the former senator filed a 14-page urgeny mandamus motion on Wednesday asking the high court to issue a temporary restraining order to prevent the ...
A Malacañang official on Friday urged "ordinary readers" to believe testimonials on Manila’s beauty rather than be swayed by a fictional character's unpleasant observations about the place.??"We trust that ordinary readers will give more weight to the testimonials of real people who have enjoyed their stay here in our beautiful country over the experiences of a ...
While he said he was not complaining, President Benigno Aquino on Friday admitted leading a poor country of nearly 100 million people – 10 million of whom are scaterred in over 200 countries – is not an easy job."You might think that I’m complainingbut I just want to impart to youthere are difficult burdens in this particular job especially when you want to lead ...
The Killer Inside Me
Of all the films based on the novels of postwar hard-boiled novelist Jim Thompson, whose body of work Meredith Brody described in Film Comment as the most disturbing and the most darkly sadistic of the tough-guy writers, Michael Winterbottoms The Killer Inside Me ...
With school set to start in a little over a week, the Department of Education on Friday reminded school officials to observe the policy prohibiting the collection of fees during enrolment. DepEd Secretary Armin Luistro cited DepEd Order 41 issued in 2012, stating that no fee shall be collected from pupils in kindergarten up to Grade 4 anytime during School Year 2013-2014. There will also be no ...
The rainy season is not due until early June, but the transition from summer has begun, state weather forecasters said Friday. In a radio interview, PAGASA forecaster Alvin Pura said the transition period is causing very humid weather at times of the day. "Nasa transition tayo papunta tag-ulan. Meron tayong nararanasang easterlies kaya maalinsangan ang maasahan," he said in an ...
The Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) is set to form its political party this year and will likely participate in the 2016 elections, a television report said. A report by Ruth Cabal on GMA News TV's State of the Nation on Thursday, MILF chief of information Mohagher Iqbal said the creation of a political party would be necessary in anticipation of the Bangsamoro Region. The Bangsamoro ...
President Benigno Aquino III has appointed 13 new judges to various courts in nine provinces in Luzon.A transmittal letter sent by Executive Secretary Paquito Ochoa Jr. to Chief Justice Maria Lourdes Sereno said the new judges were appointed in the Ilocos Region, Cagayan Valley, Central Luzon, Southern Tagalog and the Bicol Region.["B]y virtue hereof, you may qualify and enter upon the ...
TOKYO - A Philippine official has warned that territorial rows in Asia are "causing considerable tension that could lead to conflict" as several countries face off with China over island claims. Speaking at a business conference here on Thursday, Foreign Affairs chief Albert del Rosario said China's "nine-dash line claim encompassing almost the entire South China Sea" is ...
We must define the nature and scope of this struggle, or else it will define us. Neither I, nor any President can promise the total defeat of terror. What we must do is dismantle networks that pose a direct danger.
The U.S. president was speaking on his administration's counter terrorism policy.
Le Meridien Dubai
I had taken a rental car from Abu Dhabi and driven up to Dubai, a trip of about 140 kilometres. ...Keep reading
The Boy Scouts of America National Council has resolved to accept gay members. Do you agree with this policy?
Philippine TimesPhilippine Times | Authoritative News Source for the Philippines
Newspapers the world over strive to provide readers with the ultimate news coverage.
The Philippine Times is no exception.
As an online news service we have advantages over traditional newspapers in that stories can be added and updated 24 hours day.
Our objective is to provide the most comprehensive Philippines news available, from our resources, contracted wire services and an inventory of some thousands of sources comprising newspapers, cable and TV networks, radio stations, public broadcasters, NGOs and others, Philippines news is a priority.
National news comes first. We do however strive to provide a complete news services for our readers. World news headlines top several of our pages, we also provide news on what's happening in business, and in the financial markets.
Whether it's the latest Nikkei 225 reading in Tokyo, the sterling exchange rate in London, or the status of the Nasdaq in New York, whether it's local the Philippines news, the weather forecast for the Philippines you'll find it all in the Philippine Times.
From Davao and Cagayan to Manila, the Philippine Times should be your number one choice for breaking news - local, regional, and national.
UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has welcomed the release of four Filipino peacekeepers captured by Syrian rebels in the Golan Heights last week.
They had been detained May 7 in the vicinity of Al Jamlah in the area of limitation.
Appreciating the assistance of Qatar and of others involved in securing their safe release, the secretary-general emphasised to all parties the impartiality of UN peacekeepers in a statement.
"The secretary-general welcomes the release of the four United Nations Disengagement Observer Force (UNDOF) peacekeepers," reported Xinhua citing the UN chief in a statement. Sunday .
UNDOF, which is on the ground to monitor the Disengagement of Forces Agreement between Israel and Syria, has been in the Golan Heights since 1974.
It has about 1,000 troops and civilian staff, who are from countries such as India, Austria, the Philippines, Morocco and Moldova.
The four UN peacekeepers were seized by the rebels at an observation post on the ceasefire line between Syria and the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights last Tuesday.
It was second abduction of UN peacekeepers on the Golan Heights over the past two months. In March, 21 Filipino peacekeepers from UNDOF were abducted but later released.
- Homeland Security bulletin warns 3-D printed gun plans may be impossible to access
- New light rocket Angara ready for launch
- Athleta apparel Sprecher Restaurant among new Bayshore businesses
- BANGLADESH Activists put compensation costs at EUR54m
- EUROPE Jeans imports down for first time in a decade
- World stocks to grind higher
- Wall Street lobbyists frequently help draft financial legislation
- Pakistan Airlines flight diverted in U.K. - CNN
- Stocks slip for third straight day
- Salesforce.com leads techs down Pandora jumps
- Wockhardt shares plunge 20 pc on USFDA import alert
- Asian Stocks End Mixed Nikkei Rises After Turbulent Trading
- Chinas bank card transactions exceed 100 tln yuan
- Philippine bourse extends loss on US stimulus speculation
- PRECIOUS-Gold steadies near $1390oz set for best week in four
- Pope hopes Chinas Catholics can pray without fear
- Forced labour in shipping and fishing industries still an issue
- Pope Francis warns against becoming museum-piece Christians
- Reflection on thirtieth anniversary of US bishops’ letter on peace
- Blessed Be The Atheists The Pope and Obama Conspire To Put Non-Believers In Heaven
- IPL fixers should be banned government must act Sharad Yadav
- TV characters slammed for on-screen unhealthy lifestyles
- Janet Jackson becomes a billionaire
- European golf tour head apologises for using coloured term while referring to Woods-Garcia spat
- Katie Another Executive Producer Exits
- Parts of EPEG cable are active Delta Telecom CEO says
- 5 things to know before cutting cable
- GBPUSD EURGBP Flows Cable buyers thru 1.5100
- Fox News Host Urges Viewers To Physically Harm Obama Voters
- Planning your escape from cable Here’s what you’ll need to know
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Philippine Times headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Winning bets with poll offenses not yet off the hook — Brillantes
- Comelec disqualifies with finality five party-list groups
- SC asked to stop Comelec from removing PCOS machines from polling precincts
- Palace to Pinoys Dont be swayed by gates of hell reference
- PNoy Presidents work in poor country of 100M people not easy